Theatre for Living Links
Below are a few bits of reference material you may find interesting for information related to specific Theatre for Living (Headlines Theatre) past projects. First we have Internet Links and below that is a Suggested Reading List. Enjoy!
→ Applied and Interactive Theatre Guide
→ CTO Rio. Augusto Boal's Centre for the Theatre of the Oppressed in Brazil
→ International Theatre of the Oppressed Organisation. A GREAT web site for linking into Boal-based work around the world.
→ Independent Community Television
→ Mandala Centre for Awareness
→ Professional Association of Canadian Theatres PACT
→ Pedagogy & Theatre of the Oppressed
→ Playwright's Workshop Montreal
→ Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs)
→ Strange and Beautiful Music was happy to donate their music
Through a Clear Lens
→ SWAMP Theatre grassroots interactive theatre
Brecht forum in NY
→ Theatre Canada. A vast collection of links to theatres across the country
→ The Vancouver East Cultural Centre
is a list of suggested reading. These are books that have
affected the birth and evolution of Theatre for Living work:
→ Theatre for Living: the art and science of community-based dialogue, by David Diamond, published by Trafford.
→ Ageless Body, Timeless Mind, by Deepak Chopra, MD., published by Harmony Books.
→ Games for Actors and Non-Actors, by August Boal, published by Routledge.
→ Healing into Life and Death, by Stephen Levin, published by Anchor Press.
→ Leadership and the New Science, by Margaret Wheatly, published by Berrett-Koehler.
→ Pedagogy of Hope, by Paulo Friere, published by Continuum.
→ Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Friere, published by Continuum.
→ Playing Boal (Theatre, therapy, activism), Edited by Mady Schutzman and Jan Cohen-Cruz. Published by Routledge.
→ Quantum Healing, Exploring the Fronteirs of Mind/Body Medicine, by Deepak Chopra, MD., published by Bantam.
→ The Magic of Dialogue -Transforming Conflict into Cooperation, by Daniel Yankelovich, a Touchstone Book published by Simon and Schuster (1999).
→ The Moral Imagination, by John Paul Lederach, published by Oxford University Press (2005).
→ The Rainbow of Desire, by Augusto Boal, published by Routledge.
→ The Seven Mysteries of Life (An Exploration in Science and Philosophy), by Guy Murchie, published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
→ The Turning Point, by Fritjof Capra, published by Bantam Books.
→ The White Hole in Time, by Peter Russell, published by Harper SanFrancisco.
→ Theatre of the Oppressed, by Augusto Boal, published by Theatre Communications Group.
→ Timeshifting, by Stephan Rechtschaffen, MD, published by Doubleday.
→ The Hidden Connections, by Fritjof Capra, published by Doubleday.
Starting from the 2010/2011 project Us and Them (the inquiry), you'll find a direct link to each project's Links & Resources page:
Here is a list of links to community organizations and resources that were gathered through projects as far back as 2001:
From after homelessness…
- Burnaby Task Force on Homelessness
- Tri-Cities Task Force on Homelessness
Time for a Poverty Reduction Plan for BC
St. Andrew’s-Wesley Homelessness and Mental Health Action Group
More Than A Roof Mennonite Housing Society
MPA-Motivation, Power & Achievement Society
- PHS Community Services Society + 604.683.0073
RainCity Housing and Support Services Society
The Kettle Friendship Society + 604.251.2801
Union Gospel Mission + 604.253.3323
Vancouver Detox Lines and BC Web-based Resources
- Vancouver Crisis Line: 604.872.2211
- Directions Youth Services Centre - Provides Vancouver's homeless and at-risk youth with a single entry point to access the tools they need to work towards reclaiming their lives. 604.633.1472
- Vancouver Addictions Matrix Program - VAMP ∼ A 16-week intensive day/evening crystal meth treatment program that offers group format along with individual counselling sessions. 604.633.4230
- ACCESS CENTRAL –Detox Referral Line - 1.866.658.1221
Central phone number for access to adult and youth detox services in Vancouver.
- Alcohol & Drug Information & Referral Service – BC Ministry of Health
Vancouver: 604.660.9382 - BC Toll Free: 1.800.663.1441
- From Grief to Action/Parents Forever
- Hey-Way'-Noqu' Healing Circle for Addictions Society
- Native Courtworker and Counselling Assoc of BC
- Urban Native Youth Association - UNYA
- DEYAS - Youth Detox Program - 604.251.7615
- Family Services Detox - 604.872.4349
- PLEA Detox - 604.708.2616
- Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission (AADAC)
From 2º of Fear and Desire:
Our Working Group:
- Columbia Institute
- David Suzuki Foundation
- Fraser Basin Council and BC Climate Exchange
- Pembina Institute
- Sierra Club of BC
- Society Promoting Enviromental Conservation
- Wilderness Committee
- https://www.monksclothing.co.uk/clothes-recycling - A Complete Guide To Recycling & Donating Used Clothes
- http://www.myfootprint.org/ ∼ A cool, eye-opening Ecological Footprint Quiz
- http://www.bchydro.com/powersmart/ ∼ Helps you to set energy reduction goals while keeping track of the process.
- http://www.citygreen.ca/ ∼ Energy Advisors offering energy efficiency options for your home, individualized retrofit plans and energy assessments, as well as info to access current grants and incentives available to reduce the costs of energy efficiency upgrades.
- http://www.sustainablebuildingcentre.com/ ∼ Light House is a local information and education centre offering ideas to make your home, work and community more sustainable.
- http://vanrenewable.org/ ∼ The Vancouver Renewable Energy Coop (VREC) is a registered cooperative installing affordable renewable energy systems and a carbon offsets shop.
∼ Searching for the Good Life in Carbon Neutral BC
- http://freegeekvancouver.org/ ∼ Non-profit computer re-use & recycling centre.
- http://www.greenlearning.ca/ ∼ A learning resource for teachers.
- http://www.storyofstuff.com/ ∼ A 20-minute look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns.
- http://theclimategroup.org/ ∼ A great source of information on ideas about business and government leadership on climate change.
- http://noimpactman.typepad.com/blog/ ∼ A blog of a family's journey to reduce their impact on the planet.
- http://www.era.ca/ ∼ The Electronic Recycling Association is a non profit organization that donates and recycles computers and electronics.
- Hey-Way'-Noqu' Healing Circle for Addictions Society
- Directions Youth Services Centre
- Innervisions Recovery Center
- Maple Ridge Treatment Center
- M.A.R.C. (Methamphetamine Response Committee)
From Here and Now:
- Immigrant Services Society of BC
- Progressive Intercultural Services Society
- South Asian Family Association firstname.lastname@example.org
From Practicing Democracy:
- CCPA/SPARC co-publication "A Bad Time to be Poor: An Analysis of British Columbia's New Welfare Policies"
- Citizen's Handbook
- PovNet BC
- Check Your Head
- City of Vancouver
- Civic Youth Strategy
- Community Learning Network (Vancouver)
- Council of Canadians
- Fair Vote Canada
- Farm Folk City Folk
- MOSAIC BC
- Smart Growth BC
- Think Democracy
Events and Actions
From Don't Say A Word:
- PeerNet BC (Formerly known as Kinnex Youth Initiative) - www.peernetbc.com/
- LOVE (Leave Out ViolencE) - www.bc.leaveoutviolence.org/
- Youth Co - www.youthco.nationbuilder.com/
- YouCAN - www.youcan.ca
- Civic Youth Strategy - www.vancouveryouth.ca
- PR Watch - www.prwatch.org
- 101 Ways to Stop the War on Iraq - www.earthfuture.com/politics/stopthewar/
Local (Vancouver-based) organizations working on water:
- CUPE BC (Canadian Union of Public Employees, BC Regional office)
Click here to receive news about water struggles
- The BC government and water:
BC Drinking Water Review Panel Report (released in Feb. 2002)
Global water sites
- Global Water Resource Management
* offers a huge network of links to information on water issues of all kinds!
- IMF and World Bank forced water privatizations
- Protection of Rivers (International Rivers Network)
Good papers and articles
- The New Economy of Water: a report Detailing Water Privatization's Benefits and Pitfalls (Feb. 2002)
- IMF Forces African Countries to Privitise Water